The Triing Lizard

Friday, November 23, 2007

Please don't ask me about my significant other at work of all places!!! So there are 6 of us moving to Colorado from Maryland from my department. A week or so ago there was a meeting with the 6 of us plus a few members of upper management. One of the execs asked us to go around the room and describe our experience when it came to convincing our spouses or significant others to move to Colorado. I was glad that they started on the opposite end of the room because I immediately started to feel a little bit uncomfortable since I didn't have anyone to convince to move to Colorado. I knew that most of the others had spouses but I didn't realize that I would be the ONLY ONE who wasn't attached.

I looked around the room and noticed that almost everyone had wedding rings. I started to feel really sad that I was the only one who didn't have anyone else - no one else to help me in the decision making or to be a friend when I needed someone, to share in the excitement of moving. I quickly decided that now was the wrong time to have a huge emotional breakdown, that would not be good for my career, especially in front of all these high level management people. Bad idea. I had to get through this without even the smallest display of sadness. Or show how truly scared I was about getting out there and feeling lonely and homesick. Right now I need to convince everyone that I don't need anyone else to come with me, that I am independent, strong, and happy to be single. Ha. Couldn't be farther from the truth. Well, the first two are true but I really can't say that I've ever been happy about being single. So I came to the realization that my story was not going to be anywhere near what anyone else is saying. that I was going to have to come up with something really fast and it can't be anywhere close to a sob story. So I came up with the best story that I could think of. I said that after getting the email asking if anyone was interested in moving to Colorado Springs I went home and asked my cats and they happily agreed - they wanted a new challenge of living at 6,000 feet. They wanted more snow to play in. Okay, I didn't get into the snow or the elevation argument but it sort of went that way. They got the idea. Basically, please don't ask me about my spouse or significant other ever again. I don't have anyone, okay???!!!!

3 Comments:

  • Dear Lizard- I agree that that was rude and it is a shame it caused you angst. The manager was probably trying to get everyone to share their experiences and assumed, like you said, that we all live in a Noah's Ark kind of world. But, whatever. And sometimes, when guys don't consult with you about how they posted for a job in a different place, they end up doing you a HUGE favor by gettingn out of your hair so you can chase cute guys who look like extras from Braveheart. Mmm, love those Scottish guys. But I digress! I can only imagine how many beaux you will have in COS. Next time someone asks that question, just say your boyfriend already lives in COS. You don't have to mention you haven't met the guy yet, right?

    By Blogger GALA, at 2:14 PM  

  • I love that about already having a boyfriend in Colorado!!! That will be my new response to that dreaded question "You're moving to Colorado all by yourself???"!!!! Yes, but my boyfriend already lives there which is very convenient!!!

    By Blogger Liz, at 9:59 AM  

  • What a dipwad to bring that up!! And yes, Gabi's idea is brilliant-although you handled the question very cleverly!!

    By Blogger Claudia , at 8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home